Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Cuso adventure in Honduras coming up

My partner and I are heading off to Honduras next month (you heard it here first!) to spend a year or possibly longer on a Cuso International volunteer placement.
It's all very exciting, but also a little terrifying what with the abundance of grim statistics and media headlines about Honduras, one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere. But I read this Huffington Post piece  this morning with gratitude and relief. It finally adds some humanity to the country and reminds me of the importance of not listening solely to the naysayers.
We leave for the Honduran capital, Tegucigalpa, in mid-January, and will make our way shortly after that to Copan Ruinas, a small northern town where I'll spend the next year doing communications work for a Honduran agency that partners with Cuso, the Comision de Accion Social Menonita.
I'll be posting regularly to my blog during our travels, and am really looking forward to this experience - not to mention solidifying my Spanish language skills. I can't wait to take everything I've learned through decades of communications work and put it to work helping great organizations like CASM and Cuso International.
Stay tuned for more details as the date of departure draws nearer, and if you find yourself in Victoria on the evening of Jan. 11, please plan to come to our goodbye party/fundraiser at the Fairfield Community Centre! We'll be raising money for my past and my future - PEERS Victoria and Cuso International. 

3 comments:

RossK said...

A year...Wow.

Going to be a whole lotta good stories, not to mention music and deeds.

Have fun!

.

Anonymous said...

I look to you two as part of the conscience of BC, and you'll both be missed.

It is the people of Honduras who will gain.

jodyfau@yahoo.com said...

Hi Jody! Hopefully all is well with you and Paul. A friend here in Florida would like to help the orphanage, so please send me your address. Then I can send his gift to you and you can use it as you see the need there.
Best of wishes for a continuing wonderful experience!
Jody Barnett